Friday, January 26, 2007

GoWind

Play Go against a computer. Unlike drafts and chess computers are supposedly pretty bad at Go, for more information about this see this Wikipedia page. However this program (GoWind) seems to beat me every time!
The aim of Go is to capture squares on the board by surrounding them, and also to capture the opponents stones by surrounding them. You aren't allowed to suicide a stone (place it somewhere it would be immediately captured) except in the case that you would use it to capture an opponents stone, and therefore free up some space. Repeating the same moves over and over is not allowed either, so you may not be able to capture a piece if it's the one which the computer just placed.
My best effort so far is b 232, w 129 (ie. a loss of 232 to 129).

7 comments:

t said...

Just managed b 215 w 134.

t said...

Several tries later I've managed b 209 w 151! I didn't lose any stones this time.

Anonymous said...

I just got b 233 w 104...it is quite a frustrating game!! xx

Nao xx said...

I hate this game...I get worse the more tactically I think I am playing. Grrr.

Anonymous said...

I just lost by b 190 w 139 - a difference of 51 - which I think is pretty good.

Anonymous said...

For some simple (and not so simple) go puzzles look here.

Set difficulty from 30 kyu to 20 kyu or 18 kyu, and click get problems.

Anonymous said...

Just to prove how good that puzzle thing is I just beat the computer for the first time! b 125 w 156

Woo Party!

Ok, now bed time.